Roasted Garlic Red Lentil Hummus
(prep cook total yield 2 cups)
The softest, lightest, creamiest hummus ever! Serve with fresh veggies, crackers, chips, sandwiches, wraps and more!
- 1 cup canned chickpeas + all of the juice from can
- 1 cup cooked split red lentils (boiled) (or 1/2 cup dry - refer to cooking instructions)
- 1 head roasted garlic (head of garlic + a drizzle olive oil - refer to cooking instructions)
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional - will thicken the hummus a lot)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Peel most of the paper from a head of garlic. Slice top of the head off so that each clove is exposed.
- Drizzle the exposed garlic cloves with olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the cloves are completely tender.
- Once the garlic has cooled, squeeze the root to push the roasted garlic out of the cloves.
- Approx. ½ cup dry red lentils (split) = 1 cup cooked. Rinse ½ cup dry red lentils (split). Add the lentils and 1 cup of unsalted water to a small-medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 5-10 minutes (until lentils are just tender.)
- Combine canned chickpeas + juice, cooked red lentils, roasted garlic, and salt in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Add microwaved chickpeas and lentils to your food processor along with the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and nutritional yeast (if using.) Process on high until nice and creamy.
- Optional: For a super velvety texture, transfer hummus to your Vitamix, Blend-Tec or other high speed blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Chill before serving. Optional: Garnish with sesame oil, chili powder or paprika, and chili flakes.