The health perks alone have made it a daily ritual for us. Anything
anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich is wonderful. This creamy, comforting drink is made of ingredients that have been shown to promote a good night’s sleep.
- Almonds: Rich in magnesium, which promotes both sleeping and muscle relaxation. This golden milk recipes uses them in the form of almond butter and almond milk.
- Honey: Allows tryptophan (of Thanksgiving turkey fame) to enter the brain more easily.
- Ginger: Calms the stomach and promotes relaxation. Some studies suggest ginger can help reduce anxiety.
- Turmeric: Aids digestion and has calming properties, which lead to sounder sleep. If you have aches and pains, golden milk for joints is a popular remedy, as it is anti-inflammatory too.
- Cinnamon: Similar to turmeric and ginger, cinnamon also helps with digestion (and it’s a delicious pairing with the other ingredients).
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk — or coconut milk.
- 2 teaspoons honey — plus additional to taste (to make vegan, swap maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond butter.
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon — plus additional for serving.
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Turmeric.
Combine the milk, honey, almond butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and any optional spices in a small saucepan. Heat over medium until warmed through, whisking briskly so that the almond butter does not stick to the bottom and the spices incorporate. Do not let boil. Pour into a mug and sip deeply. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container such as a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, so I like to make a double or triple batch, then enjoy it several nights in a row. Reheat on the stove, stirring to recombine the spices and almond butter.