Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
1/2 fl. oz. (15 mL)
About Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
Ylang-ylang is a cooling oil that soothing and calming to the heart and mood. This incredibly luxurious oil has been trusted for centuries for beautifying the skin. Ylang-ylang is renowned as a natural regulator of sebum, and can be applied to equal effect on mature and youthful skin due to its balancing effect on both skin types. Also having an affinity for the hair, it is often used to impart fuller, more luxurious hair and encourage growth. Ylang-ylang is a general tonic to the entire body.
The emotional hallmark of ylang-ylang is a gentle euphoria which can be used during all phases of life to uplift emotions and soothe body and mind. It helps calm over-excited states and can be used to support grounding and stabilization during experiences of fear and upset.
Ylang-ylang beautifully raises the spirit, relaxes mind and body, opens the heart and enhances euphoric sensual moods. It inspires creativity, boosts self esteem and promotes peace, joy and inner trust. Ylang-ylang is an oil that belongs in everyone’s perfumery and apothecary, it is a true treasure from the world of flowers.
Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil Profile
"Complete" means a compounding of all stages of distillation for a full aromatic and therapeutic spectrum prized by aromatherapists. This ylang-ylang complete essential oil, softer and lighter than the rich and heady superior grade, is a true sustainable agro-forest product derived from non-certified organic flowers harvested in Madagascar.
How to Use Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
- Direct Palm Inhalation: Add a drop of ylang-ylang oil to your palms and rub together until you feel a slight warmth building, pause and take a few deep breaths to calm and relax. With your aromatherapy practices, you will find the benefits increasing as you incorporate it into your daily routine. You can keep a bottle of ylang-ylang by your entry hall to inhale as you come home to transform the busy energy of the day into a calm, uplifted state.
Other Ways to Use Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
- Blend several drops ylang-ylang essential oil with a massage to help reduce the effects of daily stress.
- For a luxurious facial massage, blend a few drops into your favorite face cream and gently massage into neck and face, using small circular motion.
- Add several drops ylang-ylang to bath water for a calming and sensual aromatic bath experience.
Interesting Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil Information
Ylang-ylang oils are distilled in stages. The first part of the oil distilled is termed "extra", or "superior". It exhibits the most sweetness in the form of esters and is used primarily in perfume blending. Subsequent stages are labeled "1st", "2nd" and "3rd". For therapeutic use, aromatherapists often prefer to use ylang-ylang "complete", which means that all stages of distillation are combined to produce a balanced, less sweet essential oil that has the fullest complement of therapeutic compounds. Natural perfumers often prefer the more heady and complex ylang-ylang superior.
The wild ylang-ylang tree has little to no scent. To obtain the divinely sweet scent of the flower of flowers, it must be constantly pruned and maintained. Like jasmine grandiflorum and rose essential oils, ylang-ylang blossoms must be harvested in the early morning hours and immediately distilled for maximum aromatic benefit.
Safety Considerations for Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
Ylang-ylang is classed as non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing, however excessive use has been reported to lead to headaches and nausea. Do not take ylang-ylang essential oil internally.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Middle to base
- Odor: Intensely sweet, tenacious, slightly fruity, tropical floral aroma, lighter than ylang-ylang superior
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium to strong
- Blends Well With: citrus oils such as bergamot oil, grapefruit oil, sweet orange oil, and petitgrain or neroli-petitgrain oil; also lavender oil, sandalwood oil, and vetiver oil
- Botanical Name: Cananga odorata
- Family: Anonaceaes
- Composition: 100% Pure Complete Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
- Origin: Madagascar
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Organic
- Plant Part: Flower
- Color: Pale to rich yellow
- Consistency: Thin to medium
- Yield: 1.5% - 2%
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)